How to Use Moulage as a Simulation Tool in Medical Education?
The promotion of student engagement in simulation-based learning depends on authenticity, fidelity, and realism. Moulage is a simulation of illnesses or physical signs onto standardized patient or manikin via using makeup techniques or other elements acting as visual and tactile cues to promote learner engagement through more real-world experience. Therefore, moulage may be used broadly in medical education wherein its authenticity helps to improve the learning outcomes and performance of students in different medical branches such as dermatology, surgery, emergency medicine, anatomy, and forensic medicine. Nowadays, Moulage is already used in the assessment of a medical student as well as in the learning process in many medical schools. However, although the use of moulage as a creative simulation tool in medical education has a positive impact on the educational process, it faces many obstacles and challenges at the same time along with its tangible benefits. Therefore, moulage is not magic as well as it is not fantasy or mock, but it is a fantastic vehicle for representing and simulating the real event promoting realism and motivating students' engagement and immersion.
1. Makkink AW, Slabber H. For the students, by the students: Student perceptions of low cost medical moulage in a resource-constrained environment. Afr J Emerg Med. 2019;9(4):207-11. doi: 10.1016/j.afjem.2019.08.003.
2. Elshama SS. How to Develop Medical Education (Implementation View). 1st ed. Scholars' Press Germany; 2016.
3. Stokes-Parish J, Duvivier R, Jolly B. Expert opinions on the authenticity of moulage in simulation: a Delphi study. Adv Simul (Lond). 2019;4:16. doi: 10.1186/s41077-019-0103-z.
4. Smith-Stoner M. Using moulage to enhance educational instruction. Nurse Educ. 2011;36(1):21-4. doi: 10.1097/NNE.0b013e3182001e98.
5. Cooke RA. A moulage museum is not just a museum. Virchows Arch. 2010;457(5):513-20. doi: 10.1007/s00428-010-0983-8.
6. Stokes-Parisha JB, Duvivier R, Jolly B. Investigating the impact of moulage on simulation engagement - A systematic review. Nurse Educ Today. 2018;64:49-55. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2018.01.003.
7. Scholtz J, Sullivan M, Krishnamurthy S. Are standardized patient exams with melanoma moulages a more accurate reflection of medical student concept mastery than standard multiple-choice exams? J Am Acad Dermatol. 2016;74(5):110. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2016.02.432.
8. Seckman AC, Ahearn T. Utilizing simulation and moulage techniques: Performing thorough skin assessments in a baccalaureate nursing program. Clin Simul Nurs. 2010;6(3):122-3. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2010.03.058.
9. Yılmaz DU, Sari D. The Use of Moulage for Providing “Fidelity” in Nursing Education. Florence Nightingale Journal of Nursing. 2018;26(2):141-8. doi: 10.26650/FNJN.427141.
10. Stokes-Parish JB, Duvivier R, Jolly B. Does Appearance Matter? Current Issues and Formulation of a Research Agenda for Moulage in Simulation. Simul Healthc. 2017;12(1):47-50. doi: 10.1097/SIH.0000000000000211.
11. Bray FN, Simmons BJ, Falto-Aizpurua LA, Griffith RD, Nouri K. Moulage: the decaying art of dermatology. JAMA Dermatol. 2015;151(5):480. doi: 10.1001/jamadermatol.2014.5349.
12. Pywell MJ, Evgeniou E, Highway K, Pitt E, Estela CM. High fidelity, low cost moulage as a valid simulation tool to improve burns education. Burns. 2016;42(4):844-52. doi: 10.1016/j.burns.2015.12.013.
13. Shiner N, Howard ML. The use of simulation and moulage in undergraduate diagnostic radiography education: A burns scenario. Radiography (Lond). 2019; 25(3):194-201. doi: 10.1016/j.radi.2018.12.015.
14. Zorn J, Snyder J, Guthrie J. Use of Moulage to Evaluate Student Assessment of Skin in an Objective Structured Clinical Examination. J Physician Assist Educ. 2018;29(2):99-103. doi: 10.1097/JPA.0000000000000205.
15. Elshama SS. How to Use Simulation in Medical Education. 1st ed. Scholars' Press Germany; 2016.
16. Mills BW, Miles AK, Phan T, Dykstra PMC, Hansen SS, Walsh AS, et al. Investigating the Extent Realistic Moulage Impacts on Immersion and Performance Among Undergraduate Paramedicine Students in a Simulationbased Trauma Scenario: A Pilot Study. Simul Healthc. 2018; 13(5):331-40. doi: 10.1097/SIH.0000000000000318.
17. Sabzwari SR, Afzal A, Nanji K. Mimicking rashes: Use of moulage technique in undergraduate assessment at the aga khan university, Karachi. Educ Health (Abingdon). 2017;30(1):60-3. doi: 10.4103/efh.EfH_38_16.